Please excuse the 2 weeks of silence. There were good political reasons for that. No, the political reasons were actually bad, but they make for a good excuse.
The poll results
The festival poll was nowhere as popular as the weather one. Oh, the britishness of it! They’d rather talk about the weather than about the things that are fun. There were 13 votes altogether, exactly half of the weather poll results.
In case you forgot (as it’s been over 2 weeks now), the question was You and the festival time in Edinburgh are like…
- Fish and water – you may try living without it, but you’ll fail. 0 votes. Pity.
- Fish and fins – you can live without it but who wants such a life? 3 votes. One of them mine.
- Fish and chips – you often go together but it doesn’t make your life longer. 1 vote. I guess some people are just born enthusiasm-free.
- Fish and the shore – you know it exists but you’re not remotely interested in it. 2 votes. Spoilsports!
- Fish and umbrella – some find it useful but not you. 0 votes. I’m glad it was 0!
- Fish and the critical period hypothesis in linguistics – what? where? 1 vote. The Fringe HQ need to invest more in their advertising campaign.
- Why am I always the fish? 1 vote. A fair question which I don’t have a ready answer to. It just happened this way. Could have been anything really, from prostaglandin to an ingot, a fish just has more idioms and connections already available.
And the 5 “other” replies which are the real fun (in order of appearance):
- Love the atmosphere, but trying to go anywhere on foot… Tourist Rage! Funny. I thought it was driving that gave people the tourist rage during the festival, as tram works on their own are bad enough, add the increase of traffic and… I went (as I always do) everywhere (work unrelated) on foot and didn’t have any problems, only fun. I mean, isn’t it fun when out of the blue you’ve got 10 people rubbing against you at the same time? And for free!
- Fish and strawberry sauce. We don’t mix well. Pity to hear this but great to see that the fish caught on.
- A fish who loves the festival but dislikes the shoal. Beautiful. Just beautiful.
- No! I don’t want one of your fucking flyers – and relax… Very cathartic, thanks. How often does it happen nowadays that a SMILING person comes up to you and GIVES you something? For FREE? In Edinburgh it’s only one month a year. I find it refreshing.
- Fish and the bicycle – I’m in the USA so I miss the festival. You poor fish! Now you know where to spend next August.
And other news. Jewel’s news:
- I’ve arranged a new photoshoot in October so new photos are coming! Probably not till early November, but you can start salivating right now: I don’t charge for anticipation.
- Another big tour, not just a night in London, details here.
- I’ve shuffled and updated my Blogroll a little and as a result there are now 5 categories there, feel free to explore. Oh, and Blogroll is the thing in the column on the right, where I have links to other blogs and sites which I find either useful or amusing.
- In view of the political changes mentioned above, there is a new page coming on this blog very-very soon. The sooner the better so I’m working hard in this direction.
- And a new blog entry (dedicated to touring) out of sequence here.
- Do you remember my first Belgian experience? He was back to Edinburgh for the festival this year and although I didn’t get to see him again, he gave me his ticket for the show he couldn’t attend. How sweet is that! Thank you so much!
- The ex-old nutter texted to apologise for his behaviour. “Diffidence in the presence of a beautiful woman comes easily”, apparently.